Friday, November 03, 2006

Do it. It doesn't hurt unless you don't.

I love politics, but I sometimes hate election season. The arguing, bickering, namecalling of it all. And with the 24 hour news cycle, it is almost as if nothing else in the world exists. I have gotten so many "Vote for me" phone calls I shut the ringer off. My mail is 2 to 1 political flyers over regular mail. It can be enough to make you want to lock the doors, stay home, and wait for it to be over.

But don't. VOTE.

People have fought, argued, marched, been hurt, and died for the privledge. They had to fight to make it a right for all of us. And yet many of us toss away this right through laziness, apathy, or despair. Don't give up. Vote.

I heard someone today say that the founding fathers didn't die to give someone like him the vote. That voting would be a compromise of balance, of integrity. I've got news for you, newsboy. A lot of people, from the founding fathers to today have died to give you the right to vote. You, and I, and everyone else who is able, must take responsibility for the country we call home. This is the place we live, we work or not, we learn or not, we succeed or not. We make it what it is. If we ignore participation in our political process, we are giving our voice away. And we don't get to decide who we give that voice to. We are soundless, surrounded by the noise of the process that we have let pass us by.

And the decisions that those who represent us, whether we vote for them or not, make everyday will define the world we live in. We are bound by their decisions, for good or ill. Why would we want to give that power away? Do we really want someone else to choose what is important for us?

So Tuesday, I will wade through the "Vote for me" folks outside the polling place, show my ID, punch the little buttons on the touchscreen, and sound my voice. I am only one vote, true. But better one vote than none at all. So go vote. Feel the force of democracy flowing through you. It won't hurt a bit. good night and good luck...stimp

No comments: