Saturday, November 18, 2006

what is it with kids today?

I sometimes wonder what in the hell is going on with this world. I watched people tear each other apart trying to get PS3's, trying to be first, not caring who got hurt in the process. We are uncivil sometimes to the point of real cruelty. This is a place sometimes that the Marquis de Sade would not only recognize, but approve of. And before anyone asks, I have read works of the Marquis in sufficient quantity to say.

But adult misbehavior and stupidity is not what troubles me. I was listening to the Lionel show tonight. (As an aside, Lionel is one of the best talk hosts on the air. He offers a podcast of his show free, and can be found at www.lionelonline.com .) There was a young man who called his show, and he entirely blew my mind. He was 15 years old, and had called to offer his opinion on one of the topics of the day. But he became the topic after listening to his opinions. Lionel questioned him briefly about himself. He was in a business program at school, and basically intended to go into international currency after college, because money was so important. The longer I listened to this budding Alex P. Keaton (Google it), the sadder I got. And I wondered...where had childhood gone?

Let me be clear, I am all for education. I am a big fan. I think schooling is one of the most important things we do. I hassle and help my own child as much as I can, sometimes too much, to do well in school. I understand its importance. But in expecting our children to plan their lives from kindergarten on, are we stealing something from them as well? When my son goes to school, I am not necesarily thinking entirely about what he will be when he grows up. I have told him that school will be important in helping him decide his future, that it is not optional. But what I want for him, this child on the radio seemed to have lost. I don't want a child programmed to perform at the highest levels without thought. A monkey can be tought to do that. What I want for my child, for all children, is the opportunity to search. I wish for them curiosity, exploration, critical thinking, and the joy that discovery brings. If I had merely wanted to program something for maximum efficiency, I would have bought a fancy VCR. I want my boy to see farther, look deeper. Money and materials are all well and good. But they mean nothing if you give your heart and soul away to get them.

I am sad for this boy on the radio. He was so certain, so set. No one should be set at 15. There are too many variables left to encounter. And eventually, even Alex P. Keaton found his heart and soul. good night and good luck...stimp

No comments: