Wednesday, April 30, 2008

Brains.....BRAINS!!

April 30, 2008

I have been listening to the term "elitist" being thrown around like a discus lately. Oops, I said discus instead of frisbee! Could I also be...an elitist! I don't watch American Idol or NASCAR. I get great enjoyment from non-fiction books. I like foreign films. Oh, Heavens! Maybe I am an elitist!

Oh, bullshit. My favorite word, the one that gets the most use, is the "F" word. I wear old t-shirts and sweat pants. I like beer, American Gladiators, and football. Maybe I'm just a regular Stimp.

Why are we making all this fuss about being intelligent? That seems to be the bottom line here. The smart guy, the nerdy one, one that might have gone to college, can't possibly understand what it is like to be poor, or relate to the problems of the working class.

Except what happens when you get your education, and you never leave the working class. What if you are smart, and well educated, and don't go too far from the tree? Why must smart people pretend to be otherwise?

This has really been brought home to me this campaign season. I remember when they were saying that W. was the candidate more people felt they could have a beer with. I don't know about you, but when I am selecting a president, I don't want a beer buddy. I want someone smart enough to think for themselves! I want someone who has read a few books, maybe had a few original thoughts. Why in the world were folks more impressed by W's down home manner than Al Gore's intellect? Of course Gore was stiff! Nerds usually are. I want a nerd for president. I want a president who makes me proud of my geeky roots. Doing shots, or bowling, or yukking it up with a drawl doesn't impress me. I want to stop feeling like a freak because I like books. I want a leader I can imagine reading one!

So I guess, even with my working class background, I must be an elitist. There are worse things I could be. Like an idiot. Or a pretender. or W. good night and good luck...stimp

No comments: