Monday, February 27, 2006

stuff like that there

Well, I made it all the way through the Olympics. I watched a lot of sports. A lot. Even the sports that nobody watches, I taped and watched later. I think I took care of my hockey jones. And it's nearly time for baseball. Doesn't get much better. I wish sometimes, in my sad naive way, that people actually believed in the Olympic ideals for more than two weeks at a time. It would be nice if sports could do what politics cannot: help us play fair and resolve our differences in a semi civilized manner. Not everyone involved plays by the rules, and there is a process for that to be resolved. Sometimes there are hurt feelings, but with time they pass, and no one dies to correct them. The thing that always strikes me the most is at the end, when the athletes from all countries come in together. Not separated by country, but in a huge jubilant group. I cannot imagine wanting to blow someone's face off if I have just spent two weeks learning who they are. Once someone becomes human, it's really tough to go back to them and us. And I think that is the part I like the most. That for a short while, them and us just becomes an Olympian, an athlete. A real person. We should all be so lucky. good night and good luck...stimp

No comments: