Saturday, March 04, 2006

Spring

Ahhh, baseball. I was overjoyed the other day, when I logged on and saw that my beloved Yankees had lost in a bad buttkicking to Philadelphia. I didn't care. It was baseball. For all its flaws and follies, it's Buck O'Neills and Jose Cansecos, it is still the most beloved of sports to me. I am one of those people who will, upon occasion, look at baseball as a microcosm of life. And then I get all silly and wax philosophical about it. But, as I mentioned before, baseball is a sign of spring, and all that spring means. A renewal, a new beginning, a starting over. Some teams are better, some worse, some richer, some poorer. But on opening day the dreams of the fans remain the same. And up from every ball park the quiet wish whispers on the wind: "Please don't let these guys suck this year..." I know that I am really pathetic about baseball. But who couldn't use a clean start, a chance to prove all over that you are the best in the world? Who doesn't need something to believe in, at least until September, when they can say "Well, there's always next year" ? This is one of the best times of year, when hope springs eternal and all that jazz. So I'm gonna bust out the Yankees beanie baby, dust off my kid's glove, and get ready for another season. And who knows, maybe our guys won't suck this year. good night and good luck...stimp

No comments: