Saturday, March 18, 2006

Happy Anniversary

2313...17004...33679...our guys dead, our guys hurt, Iraqis dead...and in only three years! Today is the anniversary of our excellent adventure in the Middle East. You remember, the one with the invisible weapons of mass destruction. The "fight them over there so we don't have to fight them here" war. I knew I was going to write something today, after all the misery, but I wasn't sure what. I have writen so many words about the war before. My former blog was thick with it sometimes, a lot of the time. I have been weeping, and screaming, and fighting in one way or another since before this mess started. I have marched, and signed petition upon petition. None of it has made an iota of difference. But I had to try. I have always been against the war in general, because I am a pacifist, and because I believed it to be illegal. But, as they say in the movies, now it's personal. I have been told that my nephew may be deployed to Iraq this year. I don't know for certain; no one does. But I got mad all over again. I am proud of the history of service in both my family and my husband's. There are many current and former members. I am proud of those who make the promise to serve, and keep it. What I object to, and hate, is the waste. We didn't need this war. It has been a waste of money. More importantly, it has bled us of lives. Wives and children left alone to cope. Parents left in fear. Too many hearts sick, too many tears falling. And all in the service of a lie, and hubris, and empire making. I don't want to lose my nephew so our Commander in Chief can continue to try to prove he is a man. In the meantime, I will pray. And weep. good night and good luck...stimp

No comments: