Sunday, April 16, 2006

And the bad news is...

As we all know, today is Easter Sunday. For our Christian friends, it is a day to celebrate the Resurrection of Jesus, and all that entailed. It is a joyous day. It is also a day to spend with family. We spent our day with my husband's family, having a large dinner together. Today is a good news/bad news day. My wonderful minister has delivered a beautiful, healthy boy. A great blessing to be sure. My nephew and his wife found out that they are expecting a third child. I was so happy for them. Spring, even for us heathens, is a time of renewal and rebirth. So imagine my shock when I learned that my nephew will not be here, for at least the pregnancy. He is being deployed. My nephew is shipping out for Iraq.

MY NEPHEW IS BEING SENT TO IRAQ!!
I am not entirely a stranger to the war, or the military life. My first husband, my current husband, and both of his brothers served during the first Gulf War. My sister's husband is serving in the Navy. I have said it before: I am a pacifist from a long line who have served their country. I love my family, and am proud of all those who have served. Those who make the promise and keep it are the bravest among us. But I am not sure I can take this. I don't hate anyone, especially not my own, who are in the service. That is a common misconception about people who are against the war. We just expect that when our loved ones are asked to serve, and perhaps to die, that it is for the actual defense of our nation, not the hubris of a clown and his court of fools. I have hated this war from the beginning.
And now they are making it personal. Big mistake.
good night and good luck...stimp

No comments: