Wednesday, April 05, 2006

If anyone ever told you life was fair...

My mom always told me that if anyone told me life was fair, they were lying. At the time, I thought it was heresy. The universe must be inherently fair! Well...she was right, as she is so often. Nothing has brought this to my attention more than the Delphi bankruptcy, and the bullshit going along with it. There is no one factor that has caused this mess, and no one solution will fix it. That being said, I wish to make an observation. The guy in charge of Delphi is one of the biggest assholes I have ever seen. I watched a speech that he gave the other day, to a business club of some sort in Detroit. It must have been a huge stretch for Miller to try to be both smug and hangdog at the same time. He is crying poormouth, and planning on cutting hourly wages and benefits by a horrifying amount. I don't think that people understand what that means. I hear all over the place "They make too much anyway". That is not the point. These same people don't say the same thing about the upper level guys who have a wage and benefit package that would choke a horse. Are these guys going to be forced to deal with "reality", and give back half of what they make? Of course not. It's not the same thing, they cry. But it is the same thing. If the guys making the things, whether cars or parts, have to bite the bullet, then so should the guys at the top. Because the fault is more theirs than the guys on the line. Life isn't fair, but it shouldn't cheat this much. good night and good luck...stimp

No comments: