Thursday, July 20, 2006

What More?

When I was younger, in my late teens and all through my twenties, I swore that I would never have children. I had nothing against kids. I had it against the world. I swore that this was not a world, not a time and place to bring a child into. It was too dangerous, and there was no real way to protect them. But times change. I met a wonderful man, and became a great deal more optimistic. The world seemed less dangerous, with the fall of the Berlin Wall, the end of the cold war, and the seeming prosperity.

Then the attacks on America came and changed all that, and I had had a child I couldn't protect. Not really.

I was watching MSNBC a little bit ago, getting my early dose of doom and gloom about the Middle East. And I saw the children, from both sides. Hurt, dead, traumatized, and unable for the most part to understand why the world has exploded around them, literally. I thought I was beginning to become numb, just a little, to the constant chaos. The war in Iraq has that neverending effect after a while. But this senselessness, this constant battle in Israel lately is breaking my heart. Not for the adults, who know better, or at least should. But for the kids, who always end up lost in the games grownups play. And they play for keeps. When there is a new wave of terrorists, or a new wave of Israelis who will do what they THINK they must no matter the cost, that is when the bill will come due for the things done to them today. We must once and for all find a way to live together in peace, or we will eventually perish together. This must stop now. good night and good luck...stimp

No comments: