Sunday, October 08, 2006

Baseball

(many thanks to Trekkerlass for the photo)

Well, this year's baseball season ended for me yesterday, when the Tigers beat the Yankees to clinch the ALDS. That's OK, I guess. With all that has been going on in the real world, it has been kind of hard to concentrate on baseball. For the three of you reading this, my nephew made it home from Iraq safe, and I am assuming, sound. Time will tell. And all the business with Foley and the pages, Hastert, the upcoming election, and world events are almost dizzying. But something happened the other day, not necessarily significant in the grand scheme of things, but noteworthy none the less. Buck O'Neil passed away Friday night, from complications of congestive heart failure and bone marrow cancer, at the age of 94, according to MSNBC.com. I will admit, I didn't know much about Mr O'Neil until recently. I learned a great deal about him after the controversial vote that left him one shy of entering Cooperstown with other greats (and not quite so greats) from the Negro Leagues. Such and uproar! There were baseball writers and fans all over America who were frothing at the mouth. Keith Olbermann was apoplectic. But for me, something kind of funny happened in all the outrage. I listened to Buck O'Neil talking about the "slight". And I realized that everyone else was angrier for him than he seemed for himself. Quiet and gentlemanly, he seemed happy just to be there, just to be considered. With the whole firestorm, he just smiled, and let it go by for the most part. He was even part of the ceremony at Cooperstown inducting the folks on the list he himself was not considered good enough to join. For class, there is none greater. So I wanted to remember this man I never knew of until it was too late. I'm not much of a historian, but I usually know a great ballplayer when I see one. And he will be remembered long after the Steroid Boys are gone. Thanks, Buck, for helping a little girl see the magic in baseball again. You're playing in a greater league now, and one that will not leave you out. good night and good luck...stimp

2 comments:

ToledoNative said...

stimp:
Great post. You hit the nail on the head for sure.

stimp said...

Thank you very much, And thank you for coming by! Feedback is always appreciated.