Friday, March 14, 2008

A Boy's Life

March 14, 2004

I was thinking about boy's adventure stories. The old ones. Where the cowboys were always fighting the Indians, and might always made right. Before I lost my innocence.

I wonder if, with all that has happened on his watch, our president still has his.

At least when it comes to war. I was watching the news tonight, and there was a story about the President making a conference call to our troops in Afghanistan. In part of his remarks, he said that he was envious of those serving there. That there was something romantic in the war, that it was a fantastic adventure.

Spoken like someone who has never had to go. I don't claim to understand in full what people experience in war. I've never been there. But I'm not sure "romantic" or "adventure" are words I would use. I have relatives from WWII who wouldn't discuss what they saw there. I've met people who fought in Vietnam who were never the same, and fought the demons ever after. I lived at Central Command in Tampa during Gulf War I, and remember how frightened I was that someone I loved would have to go. And this time, I've seen family and friends leave, and waited for them to come back in one piece. I am a peripheral player at most.

But I do pay attention. Do you, Mr. Bush? You've been to Walter Reed to see the men and women sent back in pieces. Does that seem like a fantastic adventure to you? As Commander in Chief, you see, or I assume you see, the reports about the hardships our military and their families VOLUNTARILY go through while apart. The horrors of battle, for both the soldiers and civilians in Iraq and Afghanistan, that never cease. This seems romantic? Actually, this puts a lot of things in perspective. Mr. Bush is living in a movie, in one of the patriotic stories written in years past to keep every one's chins up during the hard times in war. From that perspective, maybe I can see it. If you assume those stories are true, or were fed those stories as part of your manhood or patriotism, war must seem a great adventure indeed. Next time you go to see the troops, instead of spouting off your rhetoric, listen to the kind of adventures these folks have been having while they were away. On this 5Th anniversary of the start of the Iraq war, listen to the reality, instead of tall Texas tales. Maybe that will suck some of the romance out of it for you. I doubt it will spur you to end this insanity, but maybe sharing the nightmares will keep you from saying anything else stupid...oh, wait. I forgot who I was talking about. Never mind. good night and good luck...stimp

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

This was very well written! It almost sounds like one of Keith's special comments!

stimp said...

Wow! High praise indeed!