Thursday, March 06, 2008

An inconvenient question

March 6, 2008

Last night, in the aftermath of the Ohio primary, my son asked me a question. He wanted to know what the first thing I would want him to do was if he were elected president. Sadly, the first thing that came out was, "I would tell you not to run for president". And he wanted to know why.

I did tell him that if he chose to serve his country in that way, I would be very proud of him. That being president was a very difficult job, and a great honor. And that I would want world peace, and that no one would be hungry or homeless, without a job or good health care. He decided that he would rather be a musician, and help the homeless in his spare time.

But I am rather sad that my first response was not to do it at all. I have always been proud to be an American. Even when we did things I couldn't be proud of or agree with. I think we aspire to be the most generous, best nation on Earth. Sometimes we fall short, like everyone does. We are only human after all.

In my lifetime, I have seen what being the leader of this nation can do to a person. I have watched Presidents grow old before their time, careworn and hard used. The first president I can clearly remember is Carter. He seemed so young and smiling when he first got to Washington. But by the time he left office, to my child's eyes, he seemed to have aged twenty years. All the pressure and responsibility kind of sucked the life out of him. I'm not sure I would want that for my son.

Looking at the folks who wish to be president this time, I wonder how the office will change them. Even when I don't like them, I think it takes something unusual to want to give your life to this country for four or eight years. Men have been broken by less. I'm not sure I would choose that life for my son. Public service is noble, and none more so than President of The United States. But I think, in the long run, I'd rather he were a musician. I'll be proud of him either way. good night and good luck...stimp

No comments: